Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Running your test while you write them using NCrunch

A coworker told me about watching a presentation where the presenter used NCrunch, so I decided to take a look at it. 

The basic idea is NCrunch  automatically runs your tests in a parallel process giving you continuous testing that’s integrated into Visual Studio. It intelligently runs tests automatically so that you don't have to, and gives you useful information including code coverage and performance metrics while you work.

Here is an example of the inline test results

nCrunch_Code

here is a screenshot of the test runner

nCrunch_TestRunner

and this what the coverage looks like

nCrunch_CodeCoverage
it’s not quite as detailed as I would like, but not bad.

This isn’t going to be a replacement for my copy of Resharper and DotCover but at the same time, I don’t see a problem with running both.  This could defiantly save me a lot of time waiting for test to run and if I want more detailed information I can still use dotCover.

This is a free tool that so far has really impressed me, for more information go to the NCrunch home page athttp://www.ncrunch.net/

No comments: